Foreigner who intends to visit Nepal must hold valid passport or any travel document equivalent to passport issued by the Govt. for visiting a foreign country prior to apply for visa.
a) Entry:- No foreigner is entitled to enter into and stay in Nepal without valid visa. Tourist entry visa can be obtained for the following duration from Nepalese Embassy or Consulate or other mission offices or immigration offices located on entry points in Nepal.
b) Chinese citizen are requested to apply in Nepalese Embassy or other Nepalese diplomatic missions as there is no provision of on arrival visa for them.
1. Visitors who are entering Nepal for the first time in a visa year (Jan-Dec):
Visa Fee required to obtain Tourist Visa from Nepalese diplomatic agencies and entry points:
US $ 25 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 15 days.
US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 30 days.
US $ 100 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 90 days.
Regardless of the provision stated in 1(a) and 1(b), tourists with passport from South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) nations aren't required to pay visa fee for 30 days.
d)Fee required to extend duration of visa or renew visa:
US $ 2 or equivalent Nepalese currency per day for extension.
Additional US $ 20 or equivalent Nepalese currency on visa fee as per 2(b), if Multiple Entry facility is required for the extended period.
If foreign visitors that haven't renewed their visa want to renew their visa, they have to pay additional Nepalese currency equivalent to US 3$ on the regular visa extension fee.
Foreign visitors who have overstayed the visa period of 150 days without extension are required to pay visa fee as per provision in 2(c) and punishment as per Clause 10 sub-clause 4 of Immigration Act 2049.
Regardless of provision stated in 2(a), 15 days is counted as minimum extension period and visa fee is charged accordingly. For extension period more than 15 days, visa fee is charged as per the provision of 2(a).
2 Tourist Visa Extension :
A tourist visa can be extended upto 120 days from the Department of Immigration in Kathmandu and Pokhara Immigration Office on request. Then after an additional 30 days can be extended from Department of Immigration on reasonable ground, which ensures one's departure from the country within 150 days in one visa year.
3. Late fee for regularizing tourist visa
- US$2 in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for the first 30 days.
- US$3 in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for the next 31 to 90 days.
- US$5 in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for more than 90 days.
4. Fee exemption of tourist visa
Children below 10 yrs.
- Descendant's upto the age of 16 years, holding foreign passports, of Nepalese parents or either of their parent is a Nepalese citizen.
- Citizen of Nepali origin, after having obtained passport for the first time from a Nepal based foreign mission, until the period of his departure to a foreign country.
Some Important information to tourist : Don't or Do's
- A tourist may stay in Nepal upto 150 days in a visa year (Jan-Dec).
- A tourist must extend his/her visa before expiry of the visa validity period.
- A tourist who does not comply with these regulations may be liable of fine and other prosecution as provided in Immigration Act and Rules.
- A Foreigner having obtained tourist visa shall not allowed to work with or without receiving remuneration.
- A foreigner shall not be allowed to carry out any work other than that for which purpose s/he has obtained the visa.